Any ATV or off-road motorcycle operated on ice, designated trails, or an OHV park must have a current registration decal displayed on the machine. Registration is not required for ATVs being used for agricultural purposes.

Documentation necessary to register and title a Snowmobile, ATV, ORM, UTV, OR ORV.

  • Application form filled out and signed by buyer
  • New –Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO or MCO) and Bill of sale proving sales tax has been paid.
  • Used- Bill of Sale - signed by seller and notarized and current registration signed over.
  • If not previously registered or titled: Affidavit for Unregistered vehicle signed by seller and notarized and inspected by peace officer and signed
  • Title – if vessel was previously titled - signed by seller


ATV Reference Guide


Iowa Department of Natural Resources


Affidavit & Applications

Affidavit for Unregistered or Untitled ATVs-Boats-Snowmobiles-ORVs
Application for ATVs-Boats-Snowmobiles-ORVs

Bill of Sale