612 Court St., Harlan, IA 51537
Monday through Friday except for legal holidays
8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
All County Offices will be closed
on the following legal holidays during 2021.
- New Year’s Day – Friday, January 1
- Presidents’ Day – Monday, February 15
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 31
- Independence Day observed – Monday, July 5
- Labor Day – Monday, September 6
- Veterans’ Day – Thursday, November 11
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 25
- Friday after Thanksgiving – Friday, November 26
- Christmas Day observed– Friday, December 24
- New Year’s Day observed – Friday, December 31
A Brief History
In 1851 the General Assembly of Iowa fixed the boundaries of Shelby County. The new county was named after General Isaac Shelby, who was famous for serving in the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and becoming the first governor of the State of Kentucky. Early settling in Shelby County began in 1848 in Galland’s Grove. For more information about Shelby County and its courthouse, click here.