Passport Book Application Requirements

Anyone traveling by land, sea, or air must have a passport book as of June 2009. (Inquire about passport Card – not for travel by air.)

  1. Application form filled out in all capital letters in black ink or filled out on-line (see instructions on back page). DO NOT SIGN! You must sign in front of a passport agent
  2. Certified copy of birth certificate showing names of parents (or previous passport). If born in Iowa, get it from the County Recorder in the county where you were born, or get it from the state in which you were born. It must have an embossed seal. Certificates from hospitals are not acceptable.
  3. 1 passport photo (not snapshots)
  4. 4. Proof of Identity: Driver’s license, government issued photo ID or school ID. If not Iowa DL, need second ID.
  5. If applicant is 18 and over: may apply without parent’s signature.
    If applicant is 16-17: must have at least one parent’s signature and copy of their driver’s license (not a step-parent). Applicant and parent must appear in person to sign application.
    If applicant is under 16: Child must be present at the signing. Both parents or legal guardian must sign the application in person. Parents (child’s certified birth certificate showing names of parents).
  6. Fee: Age 16 over: $110 to US Department of State & $35 to Shelby County Environmental Health Dept.
    Fee: Age 15 & under: $80 to US Department of State & $35 to Shelby County Environmental Health Dept.

Fill Out an Application Online


  • Go to
  • Click Apply for a Passport
  • On the left side, highlighted in blue, scroll over Applications and Forms. Several choices pop up.
  • Click on the form you want: DS-11 for new or DS-82 for renewal.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the blue highlighted and underlined word “online”
  • Type all the information being requested. You may also print this form and fill it out using black ink).
  • Print this form – one sided only – Black & White



This form is available online at We do not need to see you sign this form and the fee to the recorder does not apply. The Standard $110.00 fee payable to the US Dept. of State needs to be sent with the renewal form as indicated in those instructions. If you do not have access to the online form, we do supply those forms at the Shelby County Environmental Health Office.


Now That You’ve Applied


  • When you get your passport, look it over closely and check for any typos. IF you find a typo, let us know right away so we can give you a form to help get this corrected.
  • Once you determine that the passport has no typos, open it to the photo page, sign as instructed and make 2 photo copies. Take one with you while traveling, but do not keep it with your passport.
    Leave one copy with your emergency contact.
  • You’ll receive your birth certificate back, but it may come under a separate envelope. You should receive it within a few weeks of receiving your passport. If you don’t, let us know so we can try to help you locate it.



DNNStuff - Google Analytics

Environmental Health

Contact Information

Terri Daringer
Shelby County
Interim Director
1411 Industrial Parkway
Harlan, Iowa 51537
Phone: 712.755.2609
Fax: 712.755.2519
Hours: 8am - 4:30pm

Shelby County Courthouse

612 Court Street
Harlan, Iowa 51537
Monday - Friday
8 am - 4:30 pm