County zoning is authorized under Iowa Code Chapter 335. Article 335.3 states, "...the board of supervisors may by ordinance regulate and restrict the height, number of structures, and size of buildings and other structures, the percentage of lot that may be occupied, the size of yards, courts, and other open spaces, the density of population, and the location and use of buildings, structures, and land for trade, industry, residence, or other purposes, and may regulate, restrict and prohibit the use for residential purposes of tents, trailers, and portable or potentially portable structures. However, such powers shall be exercised only within the county but lying outside the corporate limits of any city."
Shelby County Ordinance Index - Title VI - Property & Land Use
- 1983-1 - Ordinance to Limit Height of Objects Around an Airport
- 2001-7 - Amendment to Shelby County Zoning Ordinance Maps for Ordinance No. 2001-2
- 2002-1 - Amendment to Shelby County Zoning Ordinance Maps for Ordinance No. 2001-2
- 2004-2 - Ordinance Regulating the Subdivision of Land Amending/Repealing Ordinance 1973-1, 1991-3, 1992-2, 1995-2, 1997-1, & 2001-1
- 2006-6 - Shelby County Zoning Regulations Amended 2022
- 2008-2 - Assessment of Wind Energy Conversion Property
- 2022-4 - Hazardous Liquid Pipeline Ordinance
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is the minimum size of the lot I must own to have a house?
Q2. Can I start a business in my home?
Q3. How far from the lot line can I build?
Q4. Are any structures exempt from County Zoning?
Q5. Are there permits required before I can build, and is there a fee?
Q6. If my request is denied, what is my next step?
Q7. Do I have to appear at this hearing?
Q8. How long does this appeal process take?
Q9. How do I get my zoning district changed?
SHELBY COUNTY BOARD PLANNING & ZONING BOARD
Appointed by Board of Supervisors
Jo Ann Barganquast