Explore County


All snowmobiles operated in Iowa on ice or on a designated trail must have a current registration decal displayed on the machine. Registration is not required for ORVs being used for agricultural purposes.

Machines that belong to nonresident riders must display a nonresident user permit in order to be legally operated.

Documentation necessary to register and title a snowmobile, ATV, ORM, OMV, ORV, or UTV:

  1. Application form filled out and signed by the buyer.
  2. New –Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO or MCO)
  3. Used – Bill of Sale - signed by the seller and notarized and current registration signed over.
  4. If not previously registered or titled: Affidavit for Unregistered vehicle signed by the seller and notarized and inspected by a peace officer and signed.
  5. Title – if the vessel was previously titled - signed by seller

Additional Information

Affidavit & Applications

Bill of Sale

Contact Information

Shelby County Courthouse
612 Court Street
Harlan, Iowa 51537