All snowmobiles operated in Iowa on ice or on a designated trail must have a current registration decal displayed on the machine. Registration is not required for ORVs being used for agricultural purposes.
Machines that belong to nonresident riders must display a nonresident user permit in order to be legally operated.
Documentation necessary to register and title a snowmobile, ATV, ORM, OMV, ORV, or UTV:
- Application form filled out and signed by the buyer.
- New –Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO or MCO)
- Used – Bill of Sale - signed by the seller and notarized and current registration signed over.
- If not previously registered or titled: Affidavit for Unregistered vehicle signed by the seller and notarized and inspected by a peace officer and signed.
- Title – if the vessel was previously titled - signed by seller
Affidavit & Applications
- Affidavit for Unregistered or Untitled ATVs-Boats-Snowmobiles-ORVs
- Application for ATVs-Boats-Snowmobiles-ORVs