Explore County


The Commission of Veterans Affairs provides assistance to Shelby County veterans who were discharged from active military service with other than dishonorable conditions and have served 90 consecutive days of active Federal service.

Emergency help with the following needs is available, subject to eligibility guidelines:

  • Rent or mortgage payments
  • Utilities
  • Food and provisions
  • Medical and Dental assistance
  • Prescription medication
  • Transportation
  • Burial assistance
  • Grave markers

The Shelby County Veterans Affairs provides assistance to all veterans and their family members in applying for Federal/ State and County benefits which include the following but are not limited to:

  • Service-connected disability compensation
  • Non-service connected pension
  • Surviving spouse pension
  • Aid & Attendance/ Housebound
  • Military records upgrade and replacement
  • Application for VA Health Care
  • Application for admission to the Iowa Veterans Home
  • Headstones
  • Education/GI Bill
  • All other federal programs for which veterans and dependents may be eligible.

Some Federal benefits may require wartime service.

Contact Information

Shelby County Courthouse
612 Court Street
Harlan, Iowa 51537