Explore County


Passport Book Application Requirements

Anyone traveling by land, sea, or air must have a passport book as of June 2009. (Inquire about passport Card – not for travel by air.)

Please contact us to set up an appointment to assist with passports. 712-755-2609

  1. Application form filled out in all capital letters in black ink or filled out online (see instructions on back page). DO NOT SIGN! You must sign in front of a passport agent
  2. Certified copy of a birth certificate showing names of parents (or previous passport). If born in Iowa, get it from the County Recorder in the county where you were born, or get it from the state in which you were born. It must have an embossed seal. Certificates from hospitals are not acceptable.
  3. One passport photo (not snapshots)
  4. Proof of Identity: Driver’s license, government-issued photo ID, or school ID. If not Iowa DL, need a second form of ID.
  5. If the applicant is 18 and over: may apply without the parent’s signature.
  6. If the applicant is 16-17: must have at least one parent’s signature and copy of their driver’s license (not a step-parent). Applicant and parent must appear in person to sign the application.
  7. If the applicant is under 16: the child must be present at the signing. Both parents or legal guardians must sign the application in person. Parents (child’s certified birth certificate showing names of parents).
  8. Fee: Age 16 over: $130 to US Department of State & $35 to Shelby County Environmental Health Dept.
  9. Fee: Age 15 & under: $100 to US Department of State & $35 to Shelby County Environmental Health Dept.
  10. Fee to US Department of State must be a check or money order.

Fill Out an Application Online

  1. Go to www.travel.state.gov
  2. Click Apply for a Passport
  3. On the left side, highlighted in blue, scroll over Applications and Forms. Several choices pop up.
  4. Click on the form you want: DS-11 for new or DS-82 for renewal.
  5. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the blue highlighted and underlined word “online”
  6. Type all the information being requested. You may also print this form and fill it out using black ink).
  7. Print this form – one-sided only – Black & White


This form is available online at www.travel.state.gov. We do not need to see you sign this form and the fee to the recorder does not apply. The Standard $130.00 fee payable to the US Dept. of State needs to be sent with the renewal form as indicated in those instructions. If you do not have access to the online form, we do supply those forms at the Shelby County Environmental Health Office.

Now That You’ve Applied

  1. When you get your passport, look it over closely and check for any typos. IF you find a typo, let us know right away so we can give you a form to help get this corrected.
  2. Once you determine that the passport has no typos, open it to the photo page, sign as instructed, and make two photocopies. Take one with you while traveling, but do not keep it with your passport. Leave one copy with your emergency contact.
  3. You’ll receive your birth certificate back, but it may come in a separate envelope. You should receive it within a few weeks of receiving your passport. If you don’t, let us know so we can try to help you locate it.

Contact Information

Shelby County Courthouse
612 Court Street
Harlan, Iowa 51537