Explore County


Any ATV or off-road motorcycle operated on ice, designated trails, or an OHV park must have a current registration decal displayed on the machine. Registration is not required for ATVs being used for agricultural purposes.

The documentation necessary to register and title a Snowmobile, ATV, ORM, UTV, OR ORV:

  1. Application form filled out and signed by the buyer
  2. New –Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO or MCO) and Bill of sale proving sales tax has been paid.
  3. Used- Bill of Sale - signed by the seller and notarized and current registration signed over.
  4. If not previously registered or titled: Affidavit for Unregistered vehicle signed by the seller and notarized and inspected by a peace officer and signed.
  5. Title – if the vessel was previously titled - signed by the seller.

Additional Information

  • ATV Reference Guide
  • Iowa Department of Natural Resources

Affidavit & Applications

Bill of Sale

Contact Information

Shelby County Courthouse
612 Court Street
Harlan, Iowa 51537