You must have an Iowa Registration Certificate and registration decals to legally operate a vessel on Iowa’s public waters. Exceptions: Inflatable vessels that are 7’ or less and canoes and kayaks that are 13’ or less and have no motor or sail.
Documentation necessary to register and title a vessel:
- Application form filled out and signed by the buyer.
- New boat – Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO or MCO) and Bill of Sale proving sales tax has been paid.
- Used boat – Bill of Sale - signed by the seller and notarized & current registration signed over.
- Title – if the vessel was previously titled - signed by the seller.
Affidavit & Applications
- Affidavit for Unregistered or Untitled ATVs-Boats-Snowmobiles-ORVs
- Application for ATVs-Boats-Snowmobiles-ORVs