Explore County


You must have an Iowa Registration Certificate and registration decals to legally operate a vessel on Iowa’s public waters. Exceptions: Inflatable vessels that are 7’ or less and canoes and kayaks that are 13’ or less and have no motor or sail.

Documentation necessary to register and title a vessel:

  1. The application form filled out and signed by the buyer.
  2. New boat – Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO or MCO) and Bill of Sale proving sales tax has been paid.
  3. Used boat – Bill of Sale - signed by the seller and notarized & current registration signed over.
  4. Title – if the vessel was previously titled - signed by the seller.

Additional Information

Affidavit & Applications

Bill of Sale

Contact Information

Shelby County Courthouse
612 Court Street
Harlan, Iowa 51537