In 1972 the County Auditor was given an additional title of Commissioner of Elections by the legislature. In addition to federal, state, and county elections, the Commissioner of Elections then assumed the duties of all city, school, and special elections.
The Commissioner prepares and supervises the printing of ballots and/or programming of voting machines, as well as orders all election supplies. The Commissioner conducts Schools of Instructions, according to law, for all precinct election officials and is responsible for their employment on Election Day. The Commissioner also prepares and monitors the processing of all absentee ballots in order to aid voters who will not be voting at the polls on Election Day.
As Custodian of the Election Returns and Records, the Commissioner certifies the results to the state or subdivision involved and issues certificates of election to the proper persons.
Other duties of the Election Commissioner include:
- Acting as Receiving Clerk for nomination papers and public measurers to be placed on the ballot.
- Acting as Clerk of the County Board of Election Canvassers and Special Precinct Board.
Information for Candidates
Information for Voters
- Online Voter Registration
- Election Calendar
- Am I registered to vote in Iowa?
- Where do I vote?
- How do I vote Absentee?
- Absentee Ballot Request Form
- Voter Registration Form
For more information on the Auditor as Commissioner of Elections:
- ELECTION RESULTS-PRIMARY 06-06-2000.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-SCHOOL 09-12-2000.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-GENERAL 11-07-2000.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-SCHOOL 09-11-2001.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-HL INSTR SUPPORT-2-5-2002.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-PRIMARY 6-4-2002.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-HOTEL-MOTEL TAX - 7-30-2002.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-SCHOOL 9-10-2002.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-GENERAL 11-5-2002.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-SCHOOL 9-9-2003.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-IWCC Bond 12-16-2003.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-TENNANT UTILITY-5-4-2004.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-PRIMARY 6-8-2004.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-SCHOOL 9-14-2004.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-GENERAL 11-2-2004.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-HCS BOND 12-4-2007.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-Shelby Corp Hotel-Motel 12-11-2007.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-IWCC BOND 12-11-2007.pdf
- IVOTERS-2008 Primary Results.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-IKM PPEL 2-12-2008.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-SCHOOL 9-9-2008.pdf
- IVOTERS-2008 General Results.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-SCHOOL 9-8-2009.pdf
- IKM-MG Results & Turn Out - 4-6-2010.pdf
- ELECTION RESULTS-SCHOOL 9-13-2011.pdf
In 1975 the Auditor became the County Registrar of Voters with the implementation of a state-wide voter registration law. The Auditor is responsible for maintaining the current records of residents desiring to vote and purging the records of those no longer eligible to vote. The Auditor is then able to prepare the necessary lists of qualified voters for each election.